torsdag, juli 14, 2005

That girl is funny! Emily on "My second bomb blast experience" and "Female Circumcision" !

Wouldn't pretend to be as good or funny as
Emily. Boy that girl is funny:

Finally back safe from London; probably the most familiar city to visit for a Kenyan; I couldnt help feeling like I was walking along westlands ....the red telephone booths, hearing people speaking swahili loosely, traditional fish & chips (Kenchick kabisa !), driving on the right side of the road and of course.......all signs were in English !!! I was only there for 3 whole days but it felt like i had been there forever; the commotion from winning the 2012 Olympics hosting, G8 summit, crowds gathering to commemorate WW2, raves with familiar music, Oh....and theres Tusker... and not forgetting my second bomb blast experience, only that the Londoners handled it differently......I just never realised how much Nairobi is a copy-paste of London. I couldnt travel around much of course with limited transport (What are the odds that when you go visit a city bombings will occur anyway....); And oh....Buckhingham Palace is a dissapointment :-[

Back in Amsterdam; the security at the airports much tighter than in London, people looking taller and blonder and communicating in noises that sound like swear words, the signs in a language i cant pronounce, the shop attendants not knowing any form of customer service ..... I grab my bike and join the bike traffic jam along the crowded streets at the center....dodging dog poop, trams and insinuately annoying tourists......I love Amsterdam.


My second bomb blast experience ....Thats hilarious. Most people would be satisfied with one such experience :-) I could hardly read after that line... :-)

Some other posts needs a comment though!
on female circumcision:

But even after answering this question then comes the next one, to what extend can anybody say what is right or wrong? ...The only true laws are the natural ones... the one that can not be interpreted or interrupted in any way but they just are... the "laws of life"? the ones about the community of life, diversity... those laws can not be questioned, there is no right or wrong about them, they just are. Any other laws, or traditions, have been made by human beings with the purpose of controlling and surrendering the world to them; Because all those laws and traditions have come from an interpretation that human beings have a role in the world...human beings cannot tamper with the laws of life.Circumcision is not in accordance with those natural laws, so those who follow that tradition are not the original humans but the "modern" humans. Because their culture has already been "corrupted" by the "modern humans", then we need to minimise the mistakes we made and try to abolish that tradition that can only hurt them...

But again, who are we to decide how others should live their lives?.


For real Emily? Would women dream this up on their own?

I am more intune with some of the previous posts:

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, "Yes!" It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up, after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done to feed the children. It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back. It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you, from the inside, when all else falls away. I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.


Quite clever, Emily ! :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily Waita said...

I have to say I was glad that someone somewhere liked my thoughts (i didnt even find them funny) i just write as i experience and i guess thats the best way to express something.....

I have to say im also very impressed with the Kenyan Blogsphere, oh my God such intelligent thinkers out there.....really really impressed !

About Female circumcision...... My thoughts are influenced by a naturalist thinker; He claims 3 million years ago man lived like all the other animals and obeyed the same laws as they; the laws of life....but 3 million years later, man "decided" to go against the law, hence came the "modern" man so to speak......the birth of language, totalitarian agriculture and culture......most of which were against the law of life with a bid to man controlling life and declaring himself all powerful.....very long story....bottom line is.....circumcision is not in line with the laws of life.....but "we" modern humans decided on it.....and since its so deeply engraved in our cultures......its only time that will heal it.... You cannot change people; but you can increase your circle of influence to change them......dont know if i make any sense but anyway....sorry for the rather LONG comment !

Have a good one.....

10:24 AM  

Send en kommentar

<< Home