torsdag, juli 21, 2005

Another dedicated traveller

Enjoyed this site - another dedicated traveller:
Interesting photos of kenyan nomadic tribes, african music and more
About himself Ran writes the following, which does sound kind of dedicated:

After release in 1999 I had started to study in The Open University for B.A. in Computer Science. However, I had decided to interrupt my study after the first term in order to travel to Kenya, Africa.

On Ran's site one also reads the following:

Samburu Tribe, Kenya
Area covered

Coming back to Kenya I went to Samburu District and had an exclusive journey of several months during which I visited all Samburu towns: Maralal, Kisima, Wamba, Archer's Post. Made 35km trek to Ngilai village. Slept in traditional Samburu houses made of cow's dung, mud and sticks. Visited Lerata A, Lerata B, Ledero, Lesosio villages. Made another 35km trek from Archer's Post to Ndonyo Wasin sub-location. Visited Kibartare and Learata villages. Learata village is the last one towards mountains and one can find in this two villages last families of Ndorobo tribe. Another trek and I got the glory of becoming the First White to visit Lesisai village. Yep, I didn't mistype anything. This village had been never visited by a white man and I'm talking about 21st century! I had briefly visited many other Samburu small towns and villages not to be mentioned here though.

Family and marriage

Samburu are allowed to have several wives. The number of wives will depend on the amount of cows of the owner. For each wife one would pay around 10 cows depending on how much the family of the bride is going to ask. If the lady went to school, especially if she reached secondary level of education the husband will have to pay also an additional amount of money (as if to cover parent's expenses for her education).
The girls can be married as soon as they reach puberty. The decision of whether specific girl had reached puberty decided by her look and her breast structure. Mostly girls can be married starting from the age of 12. Practically I never seen such a young wife though. This happens due to the fact that Samburu tolerate boyfriend/girlfriend relationships prior to marriage. Thus Moran (circumcised boy-warrior) and circumcised lady can be together half-hiddenly. They are allowed to be known as boyfriend/girlfriend and the girl will carry 'BUSI' which will show that she has a boyfriend. They aren't allowed to be together openly during daytime.
They will meet at night and during traditional dances. They are allowed to have sex, but the girl must not become pregnant. If this happens, the Moran will have to pay a fine of two cows to the parents of the lady or alternatively marry her.
During marriage ceremony the parents of the girl will not be given all the dowry. A big part of the dowry will go to her uncles and other relatives.
A wife must perform all the duties given her by husband as well as all household activities, child caring, fetching water and so on. A husband must provide food for her and the children. In case wife doesn't want to perform according to her husband words she may be beaten. She will not be beaten cruelly though. In rare instances wife can be beaten by Wazee old men of the village. During my few months stay I had never seen a woman being beaten.

Certainly a dedicated traveller!............

----------

and btw:
At long last I found something about which currency to use in Kenya:

Robert wrote:
> I'm off on holiday to Kenya at the end of September for 2 weeks.
>
> I have a couple of questions?
>
> What is the best money to take, UKP or USD or the local currency?

he was given the advice:
UKP, and change that for Kenyan shillings at a Forex in Nairobi.
There are many.

> I want to do a 3 or 4 day fly safari, can anyone recommend a good company
> for doing this kind of thing.

Plan to spend that time in the Masai Mara - the wildebeest/zebra migration
will be there then. Your hotel in Nairobi can suggest a reliable operator.
Or I suggest Wildlife Safari - numbers in Nairobi are 573-630, or 573-977.

> I'd also like to hire a car and do some exploring myself, nothing out of the
> way, just up and down the coast. Is this a viable safe idea and is it easy
> to hire a car in the Diani beach area?

Car hire is easy - but a lot more expensive than you might expect.

10 Comments:

Blogger irena said...

Good for you !!!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Free Traffic System said...

Hello,

I liked your blog. I found many interesting information here.
I also give free info about dfw forex trader training on my
href="http://www.WebTradingSystem.com">Forex Trading System
site.

If you have time please visit my web site to get some free dfw forex trader training
information.

Kind regards,
Nick

5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonym said...

Hi,

Just browsing around the net for online forex and came across your blog. I've been trying to add as much info as I can about online forex on my site. But must admit I get a bit confused... there's just some many sites, tips, information ... you name about online forex it's hard to know where to begin!
I'm thinking of adding a online forex on my site, when I do, your all more that welcome to come a leave tips and help...

Until then take care!
Steward.

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonym said...

i am james i have read of yua blooger and comments i ahve a bloger at eduafrica.blogspot.com can yu visit and advice accordingly i can see yu have interest in kenya so much can you be of help to these africans jaameh@yahoo.com

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonym said...

I thought your blog was great because it made me think about my own trading. With regrards to your post I think you gave some good advice and make some excellent points. I was searching for topics on top network marketing companies and while searching Blogspot I came across your post on your blog. I try to keep to Forex Training Resources but that's not always possible. You're right on with this. It is reasonable because this is how we work in real life too. Thanks for taking the time to write a great post!

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonym said...

WWWWWWWWWWHATTTTTT

Can I Help You.. Yes If you want to get on the web. If you want to start learning about creating a web site of your own.. go to http://webhost11.com. to find out more about deal webhosting ... We can help find a web host for you.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonym said...

I like your Blog - some interesting comments abound!

You are welcome to come visit my site http://www.forex-affiliate.com/Affiliates/main.aspx?ref=5836 which is about top affiliate programs

10:16 AM  
Blogger pengume said...

Hey I am an actual dedicated traveler here is where you can check it out here

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonym said...

I don`t feel like going there.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonym said...

That's nice sound, all right, fine
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:buy levitra professional online miz

4:47 AM  

Send en kommentar

<< Home